Cleansing


I need cleansing. Myself, my house; it all needs a good clean. Perhaps it is the start of the new year which has brought on this feeling. Perhaps it is the new moon. Perhaps something else.

I look up cleansing spells in The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells by Judika Illes. There are Animal Ally spells, but they don't appeal to me unless they actually make squirrels and chipmunks come and do the laundry like in the Disney film of Snow White. But I rather suspect they don't. There are also Asperging Spells (flicking water about). I can get behind the idea of that for some purposes. There is something very similar in Roman Catholic masses at certain times of year, including last Sunday. But it is not the atmosphere I want to clear, it is the house itself. I keep looking.

There are lots of spells (I just wrote "smells" - a delicious Freudian slip) involving candles and incense and smoke. Again, I feel these are more suitable for "clearing the air". That is not quite what I want. At least, it is not all that I want.

Two kinds of cleansing spells catch my eye - broom spells and floorwash spells. That's what you need to clean a house - a broom and a mop! Some of them specify a single-use ritual broom, but I like the look of one which can be done with my own every-day broom. I could follow this by a floorwash with agrimony, peppermint and vinegar. I might play some calming, soothing music whilst I clean and afterwards light candles. During the whole cleansing I can invoke the archangels to cleanse my house.

I like the sound of this. I can believe in it. I already know that after I have done this I will feel that my house is cleansed.

I have also seen a promising-looking ritual for personal cleansing on Theresa Chaze's website. Again, it is quite down-to earth, doesn't require anything too peculiar or hard-to-get. It has a spoken component which sounds to me very like a prayer. And best of all it requires me to lock the bathroom door and stay in the tub for at least 30 minutes. I don't need to keep looking, this is what I want.

All I really need to find is some agrimony, more baking soda (I have a tiny tub of it for baking, not half a cup) and a black candle. While I am doing that I can get on with tidying up the house.

0 comments:

Post a Comment